Opposite Scott: He's left-handedWork has been picking up. That means more hours, and that means more money, and that means I can retire a few hours earlier. Or I could buy stuff. Like a new iPod and a new DVD player. Mine crapped out on me this week. I'm already decided that both of those qualify as emergencies. I don't care what Dave Ramsey says, if I don't have movies and tunes in this town, I'll have a crap-ton of medical expenses from banging my head against the wall. Speaking of this town, I got denied the opportunity to get out of it. There was a job opening in Louisville, KY that I was more than qualified for. I ended up breaking rule #1 and got a little excited about it. Here's the thing, whenever I get excited about something happening...nothing happens. Therefore, I try not to get excited about anything. So that was no fun. And I think the worst part of the whole ordeal was the fact that so many people thought that if I got the job, I wouldn't leave this town as fast as possible. That makes me want to leave so much faster and go so much further away. Not that this is a bad place to live. I've said for years that this town is a great place to live...if you have kids. But, it looks like I'm stuck here for a while.
Also, cockroaches. The cockroaches will still be here.So, that was depressing. When I get this way, I do this thing where I figure out the highlight of the day before I go to bed each night. Sometimes they're really good, sometimes they're kinda lame, sometimes the best part of the day IS going to bed. If anything, it just reminds me to enjoy the little things. Here are a few of them from various days in the past couple of weeks:
- I got my cable extended and have been able to watch a lot of baseball
- I fixed my lawnmower and now my yard looks awesome
- I got to build huge fire at my grandparent's house with my sister
- My tax return showed up in my account
- I cleaned my garage
- An even number of socks came out of the dryer
- The weather was cool enough that I could wear my brown hoodie most of the day,
- I got a guarantee from a couple of friends that they would visit me at least two times a year when I have to move into a nursing home in 5o years or so.
Anyway, I guess I've watched Indiana Jones too much and expect life to be a 24/7 adventure. Dr. Jones himself said, "Seventy percent of all archaeology is done in the library. Research. Reading." I guess that means that his seemingly exciting life is exciting only 30 percent of the time, which if my math is right, is 109.5 days of the year, which still sounds like a lot. And I just sat here and actually figured it up, and up to this point I've had about 30 days that have been pretty exciting and/or memorable. That's about 26%. And that ain't bad, especially since none of those days involved finding holy relics or fighting Nazis. There was way too much math involved in this post.
One more thing before I go. This is currently my favorite song. It's called "See the World" by Gomez. It starts out sort of depressing, but turns around at the end. Kinda like this post...ha. You should listen to it, or better yet, watch the video.
No comments:
Post a Comment